Have you undergone a surgery recently? After the surgery is completed, you require medical care and post surgical care service. The kind of post operative care required just after the surgery depends on the surgery you underwent. Then, it also relies on your medical history and health history. Wound care and pain management are the most important components of post surgical care. Just after the surgery is done, the care begins. It continues till the time you stay in the healing center and may even continue for quite some time after you are discharged. Before you leave the hospital, the doctor will let you know the complication or the side effects of the surgical procedure. He explains you how to take care of yourself when you are in the home. If needed, he may recommend home healthcare service provider to help you administer medicines in a timely manner and get other kinds of help.
Plan for post operative care much before
When the doctor says you need a surgery, discuss out the particular surgery with the doctor, what it involves and similar aspects. It is good to resolve all your queries before undergoing the surgery. Ask the following questions:
- For how long will the surgery take place?
- How long I will stay in the hospital?
- Will I require medications or some specific supplies when I reach home?
- What are the side effects of this surgery?
- What I must do or what I should avoid to gain an early recovery?
- When can I get back to my workplace?
Asking all the above questions will prepare for the post surgical care much ahead of time. You may need a care provider right at your home. The care giver can help in pain management and drug management. If you underwent a surgery as the part of Sciatica treatment, you may even need physical therapist by your side.
Tips to post operative care
You never know when even the simplest surgery leads to health complications. To avoid such a situation, it is necessary to go for Post-Op care. The following are worth considering tips:
- Have the contact number of emergency clinic or the surgeon who did the surgery. Follow the diet as prescribed by the doctor. Generally, the diet will include only liquid in the initial stage. Owing to anesthesia, it is difficult for the patient to consume solid food.
- Make sure you leave the hospital only when anesthetic effect is totally gone. If anesthesia is complex one, it may take some time to subside the effect
- After the surgery is completed, lie on the back for few hours time. This will help to avoid anesthetic headache.
- Don’t wet the operated area under any condition. Let the wound heal and then only you can take a shower
Urinary catheter will be needed if you have undergone a bladder surgery. If there is tumor in the bladder preventing urine flow, one needs to undergo bladder surgery. Catheter will be required during post operative phase.