Here’s what you can do if you have lost your court marriage certificate
A court marriage certificate is considered to be one of the most important documentations for a couple. This document indicates that a marriage is legal and the couple is officially married in the eyes of law.
It is extremely important to preserve the original court marriage certificate as it is required for a variety of purposes. For example, a court marriage certificate is required for changing a woman’s name or for bank account related issues. In metropolitan cities, tenants ask for a court marriage certificate to rent an apartment and also to ensure that the couple is officially married.
Court Marriage Certificate is extremely necessary, especially for women to know the legal rights. In the case of any issues between the couple like illegal affair from the husband’s side, then the wife can appeal for all the rights for herself and her children.
Other legal proceedings like divorce also require the original court marriage certificate.Therefore it is necessary to keep it safe such that there are no problems or troubles if any of the above-mentioned situations arise. It is important to preserve it forever without losing it anywhere as it acts as the only proof or evidence for marriage of the couple.
What to do if you have lost your court marriage certificate?
A court marriage certificate is considered to be as necessary as registering the marriage legally. If you have lost your original court marriage certificate, you can apply for a duplicate court marriage certificate to get back the evidence.
A duplicate court marriage certificate can be obtained from the local registrar office or online as well. Most of us do not give much importance to the court marriage certificate because of our busy lifestyle. But it is considered to be a mandatory document for all the couples who have tied the knot. It is important to have a copy of the court marriage certificate, which can act as a savior for many future problems.
Procedure for getting a duplicate court marriage certificate:
A duplicate court marriage certificate can be obtained by following the steps given below:
- The application form for the duplicate court marriage certificate should be obtained. These application forms are available at the local municipal office or the marriage registration office.
- When the application forms are obtained, all the relevant details should be filled. It is important to ensure that all the details are correct and true, otherwise, the application would not be accepted. This would cause a delay in obtaining the duplicate court marriage certificate.
- All the necessary documents required should be attached to the application form. The documents you be attached would be specified.
- After completing the above-mentioned steps, the application forms along with the attached documents must be submitted in the office from which the former is obtained.
- A reasonable application fee should be paid at the office to obtain a duplicate copy of the court marriage certificate
- An appointment date would be specified on which both husband and wife should be present along with the witnesses.
After completing all the necessary procedures, you can collect the duplicate copy of your court marriage certificate from the registrar office or the municipal office as directed by the officers.
Documents required for obtaining a duplicate court marriage certificate:
Given below are some of the most important documents which are required to apply for a duplicate court marriage certificate. These documents should be attached along with the application forms and then submitted in the marriage registration office or the municipal office.
- The original application forms filled with all the correct and relevant details.
- Evidence of marriage: The couple should attach proof such as a copy of the marriage certificate, photographs, invitation or registration receipt.
- Identity proofs of both the husband and wife should be provided. The identity proofs include driving license, voter Id, Aadhar card or passport.
- Recent passport size photographs of the husband and wife should also be provided.
You can easily obtain a duplicate copy of your court marriage certificate if your original copy is lost. The duplicate copy would then be the major evidence for marriage.
A duplicate copy of the court marriage certificate can also be obtained online. It is necessary to fill up the application forms with the right details. All the above-mentioned documents should also be attached without fail. If the wrong details are filled or if fake documents are attached, the application form would then get rejected which unfortunately calls for some more lengthy procedures to be followed. This would cause a delay in obtaining the duplicate court marriage certificate. After obtaining the certificate, it is important to keep it safe to avoid future problems.
Samuel D’mello has been practicing and handling cases independently with a result-oriented approach, both professionally and ethically and has now acquired over 4+ years of professional experience in providing legal consultancy and advisory services. Samuel graduated from J.N. Petit School & Symbiosis Law School.