Honda Activa is one of the most popular two-wheelers in the market today. It has steadily managed to stay in the market for the past 18 years. This is due to its sturdy model, amazing fuel economy and smooth driving experience. Here are the things to keep in mind if you are planning on buying a new Activa or a second-hand one
- Research on price – Get the price from different dealers and the complementary accessories you will get along with it. Different dealers might be quoting different prices. Strike a balance between the right price and the accessories you can get along with it for the price.
- Check the variants and finalise – At present, there are 4 model variants of Honda Activa: Honda Activa 6G, Honda Activa 5G, Honda Activa 125 and Honda Activa i. Those the model that is best suited to your needs. Make sure you compare the fuel economy, cc and weight along with considering the price range. Once you have fixed on the variant, choose the best colour as per your taste.
- Insurance policy – It is mandatory that you get a Honda Activa insurance. As per the government rule, you have to take the mandatory 5-year third-party policy plus one-year own damage policy. This rule has been mandated due to the increasing number of cases where drivers were found driving without insurance. But these two are not the only two policies available. You can also choose the comprehensive insurance policy which has both the third-party liability component and own damage component added to it. You can further customise this policy with other suitable add ons. Choose the policy that is best suited to your needs and environment.
- Get the registration done – Buy the Honda Active from the dealer and get your vehicle registered with the government. On registering your vehicle you will be first given a temporary registration number. Once the registration process is complete you will be given the permanent registration number for your vehicle with which it can be uniquely identified.
- Important documents to carry – While driving your Honda Activa on the Indian roads, make sure you have the following documents in hand. Without these documents, you will be levied a fine.
- Registration Certificate.
- Valid driving licence.
- Valid insurance policy.
- Pollution certificate
How to choose an insurance policy for your Honda Activa?
If you are confused as to which insurance policy you must choose for your Honda Activa, here are some pointers
1. Third-party insurance policy – A third party bike insurance only covers third party liabilities, that is if you injure or cause death to a third-party, or if you damage third-party’s vehicle or property. It does not cover damages caused to your own vehicle.
This policy is best suited for a seasoned driver. If you are confident about your driving skills and is sure that you would not cause accidents you can choose this policy.
Third-party insurance policy is mandatory without which you will be levied a fine of Rs.2000/-. The premium for this policy is fixed by the IRDAI and will be cheaper compared to the other plans.
2. Own damage insurance policy – If you already own a third-party insurance policy and wants to get damages caused to your own vehicle too to be covered you can opt for this policy.
You cannot ride in Indian roads with just the own-damage insurance policy. You must have the third-party insurance policy with you.
This policy provides protection to your two-wheeler including loss due to theft, fire, riots, natural calamities etc. Thus even if you are an amateur and you are not sure of your driving skills, you can buy this stand-alone policy along with your TP policy. If you live in a theft-prone or disaster-prone area, it is best to add this policy along. You can also modify this policy further with add-ons
3. Comprehensive insurance policy – This policy contains both the third-party component and the own-damage component inside it as one single policy. The third-party liabilities and damages to your own two-wheeler due to accidents, theft, riots natural calamities etc will be covered under this policy.
If you are a beginner in driving or even if you are an expert, Comprehensive policy will provide complete all-round protection. This will give peace of mind. IF you live in an area which has higher chances of natural calamities occurring or in a theft-prone area, this policy is well suited.
You can further customise the policy with add ons to increase the scope of coverage.